[mythtv-users] OT: 3 week old HDD "Clicking" ??

Rob Smith mythtv-users at kormoc.com
Mon May 4 16:04:50 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 8:38 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Out of the 200+ drives spinning here at work most are Seagates (7200.9
> to 7200.11 because of the 5 year warranty they had) and we have had
> very good success with these (~1% failure rate) how ever every
> manufacturer we have bought from in the last 12 or so years has had
> its bad batches. All of the (except a single 1.5TB) seagates are 750
> GB to 320 GB. I would say that ~50 of these are in a linux software
> raid. And all of them are on all 24/7.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=203971&NewLang=en&Hilite=smart

"The SMART values that might be read out by third-party SMART software
are not based on how the values may be used within the Seagate hard
drives. Seagate does not provide support for software programs that
claim to read individual SMART attributes and thresholds.  There may
be some historical correctness on older drives, but new drives, no
doubt, will have incorporated newer solutions, attributes and
thresholds."

The fact that they won't work with smartctl nor any other 3rd party
smart app to allow monitoring prevents me from using them. I
personally prefer to drop out the drive from the array when they first
start having troubles rather then waiting for some condition that they
won't tell us what it is.

~Rob