[mythtv-users] xorg.conf for Nvidia and DVI to HDMI cable.

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon May 4 12:45:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 04:09:52AM -0700, Justin The Cynical wrote:
> clemens at dwf.com wrote:
>> What should I be saying in my xorg.conf If I want to use an Nvidia
>> card and have a DVI to HDMI cable?  Seems I should be saying something
>> about digital output, but I dont see any such options.
>
> In theory[1], nothing at all.
>
> HDMI = DVI with audio in the signal

[deletia]

> Of course, not all HDMI televisions will send the correct data, if any,
> so YMMV.
>
> [1] This assumes that the television sends the correct EDID data,
>     if any, to the computer, if the computer does query the television.
>     If either side does not, you might have to mess with mode lines.

This is a very important bit. Some TVs do send bogus PnP information to a
PC vidoecard. Depending on the hardware family of card, this can completely
mess you up. The intel driver doesn't handle this well at all. OTOH, the
nvidia driver seems to do fine.

I have 2 TVs that send bogus EDID info. My i945 Macs aren't very useful
on either of those boxes. My nvidia based stuff handle them fine.

I've never tried to use audio over HDMI. I just use discrete inputs.