[mythtv-users] mac mini overheating

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon May 4 00:44:17 UTC 2009

Wouter van Atteveldt wrote:
> Unfortunately, after using it for around an hour or so it just stops
> functoning and refuses to boot, the back and bottom are really hot. I've
> installed lm-sensors and typed 'sensors' a couple times and the
> temperature was running up even when I was not or hardly using the
> machine. I only saw one fan that was running at 1500 rpm constant.

I had a problem with a G4 Mac Mini that kept overheating.  This was
under OS X.  The fan would be howling away at high speed the whole time
but it would still overheat.  I disassembled it and found the heatsink
was packed completely full of lint.  I suppose that's unlikely on a
"fairly new"  machine, though; the one I was dealing with was about
three years old.

It sounds like you're using Linux.  You might want to make sure ACPI is
enabled in the kernel.  A lot of machines rely on it for fan speed
control, these days.