[mythtv-users] mythtranscode: honorcutlist on a non-recording

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun May 3 22:22:11 UTC 2009

UB40D wrote:
> On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 7:51 PM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net> wrote:
>> Make a short recording from a dvb-t channel.
>> Overwrite that file with your non-myth dvb-t file.
>> Run mythtranscode on this as for a normal myth recording - no cutlist yet.
>> Edit in Mythtv and rename.  You'll still have the old program description,
>> though.
>
> Thanks a lot, this sounds like a good idea!
>
> I just gave it a go. It almost worked, except that it didn't actually
> cut the junk from the file, which remained at the original size.
>
> Since the file was now in "recordings" I could also apply the "job
> options / transcoding" menu entry and that failed too. In the log
> there was the mysterious and infamous "Error 247" (go figure).
>
> Many thanks for the suggestion, which looked good, but for now it
> seems I'm still stuck with a large file.

You'll need to get mythtranscode to accept the file if you want to apply
the cutlist, but it's fussy.  I strip off all except one video and one
chosen audio stream beforehand using the attached script.  It uses
ffmpeg and mencoder, and will need editing to specify the recordings
folder.  ymmv.

If you have a ps file the third argument might be 0.

Sometimes it helps to use dd to chop a few blocks off the start of the file.

John P