[mythtv-users] mac mini overheating

Wouter van Atteveldt wouter at vanatteveldt.com
Sun May 3 13:16:44 UTC 2009

Dear MythTV users,

I am configuring a fairly new core 2 duo Mac Mini to use as a MythTV
front end. I've installed ubuntu using refit following one of the guides
around, and that seems to work pretty well.

Unfortunately, after using it for around an hour or so it just stops
functoning and refuses to boot, the back and bottom are really hot. I've
installed lm-sensors and typed 'sensors' a couple times and the
temperature was running up even when I was not or hardly using the
machine. I only saw one fan that was running at 1500 rpm constant.

I know there are some people around here use a mac mini for myth tv. Do
other people have the same problem? Are there general ways to prevent
this problem, ie underclocking the CPU / using a ram disk instead of
hard disk (since it's front end only) / increasing fan speed / ...?

What kind of diagnostics should I run?

Thanks!

-- Wouter