[mythtv-users] Audio over HDMI: my story

John Williamson tyringham at gmail.com
Sat May 2 18:10:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-29 at 18:15 -0700, Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         I thought you guys might enjoy reading this...
>
>         With my new Vizio HDTV, I decided to see if I could reduce
>         cabling by
>         using the HDMI-1 input (audio through HDMI) instead of HDMI-2
>         (separate stereo audio input).  Everything worked until I
>         tried
>         playing a DVD rip, which gave no audio.  I figured it was a
>         digital
>         vs. analog audio issue, and I dug up all the discussions here,
>         messed
>         with alsamixer and so forth, but to no avail.  Finally I gave
>         up and
>         reverted to HDMI-2.
>
>         Later, I remembered that my nvidia card has only DVI output,
>         not HDMI,
>         and I was using a DVI<->HDMI cable for the hookup.  So, why
>         was I
>         getting any audio in the first place?  Wild.
>
>         Also, when I reverted to the original HDMI-2 TV input, I got
>         no sound
>         at all.  A sinking feeling of WAF-loss descended on me as I
>         desperately messed with alsamixer and everything else I could
>         think
>         of.  Finally, I realized that I had swapped the TV's audio
>         inputs from
>         the myth box and the DVD player.  D'oh!
>
>         Jim
>

> The audio is on the same data stream as the video so the DVI-HDMI is
> not the issue.  The issue would be that the video card would need to
> get the sound from the sound card.
>

> It is amazing how complex this stuff is.  Guess that is how people can
> make a good living just hooking this stuff up for folks.
>

> Allen

I had this issue with my recent build. The solution was to upgrade to
alsa 1.0.19 and it all worked. I have always found sound utterly
confusing in Linux so I used the script available here and it all worked
perfectly

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6589810#post6589810

I now have sound via HDMI. The only issue I have is that sometimes it
starts to fluctuate in volume and I have to turn the TV off and on again
and it works.

John