[mythtv-users] SATA pci card or USB enclosure

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sat May 2 04:22:40 UTC 2009

2009/5/2 John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>:
> There is no real point for a SATA2 card on a pci bus being that the
> pci bus is slower than SATA1 speed. Well except if the drive you buy
> does not have a SATA1 jumper or limits the drive size. I have not seen
> either at work where I have 100s of drives.

The speed bump often isn't the only difference between the SATA1 and
SATA2 [0] adapters.
Many SATA1 adapters seem to lack NCQ support, I have a cheap silicon
image SATA1 four port card like this. For the use I'm putting it to
though it doesn't seem to matter much (single combined front/backend -
tv recording/transcoding == large contiguous transfers).
If you have multiple tuners and/or multiple front ends though I can
imagine NCQ making a real difference.

cheers,
Owen.

[0] Not that they want us to call it SATA1/2
http://www.sata-io.org/developers/naming_guidelines.asp