[mythtv-users] CableCARD spoofed by DIY community

David Schlenk mythtv at schdav.org
Fri May 1 17:05:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Johnny wrote:
>>

> Lobby even more than the **AA's do. And get rid of Obama, he is not
> anti-**AA.
> And keep cracking all new drm-schemes.

Feel free to take part in civil disobedience all you want. Just be
prepared to suffer the consequences of breaking the law.

> So:
> The mostly US-based and lobbying all the time movie-producers (**AA) release
> movies on media with triple or more layers of protection (css,
> region-coding, macrovision, etc don't get me started about BD) on disks that
> won't stand the lifetime that they promise you, while saying that they
> 'license' the content to you. On the other hand they don't provide you with
> a new disc (for a `small` fee) when your current disc ends being playable.
> They extend the copy`right` beyond reasonable (not just recently, it has
> bene for a while, and: yes also in the EU, that is the **AA's fault) and
> prosecute anyone who thinks that sharing stuff is OK to do.
> The public appears to be incapable to turn this status quo around at a
> higher pace. (yes, it's been going on for quite a time)
>
> How fair is that? How much is that like the idea of `modern` (C) was when it
> was put into law for the first time?
>
> I do think that one should be able to backup their data, including that on
> DVD's, bluray thingies, etc.
> I think that the USA needs a Pirate Party like there is in Sweden and as are
> appearing in other European countries.

Lets all agree that copyright law needs to be fixed, the **AA protects
copyrights in pathetically stupid ways, we all wish it wasn't illegal
to break DRM, and move on to a more useful topic.