[mythtv-users] DVB-T tuner appears to de-tune itself.

Paul Gillingham paulgillingham at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:52:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am having a problem where my DVB-T tuners seem to be de-tuning
themselves. I am running 0.21-fixes on Mythbuntu 8.04 (Hardy) with a
Happauge Nova-T 500 to pick up UK Freeview DVB broadcasts. Here's a
description of the problem:

1. In order to get good reception for all channels I have to first do
a full scan in the backend setup. This will pick up all channels, but
the signal strength is not good enough to watch. However if I now plug
in a signal amplifier between my Mythbox and the aerial that fixes the
problems and all is well. Note that if the amplifier is plugged into
before the channel scan I find I am missing several channels (ITV1,
ITV2, Channel 4 etc I think this is Multiplex 2)

2. At some point overnight my reception drops away (especially on
Multiplex 2) and recordings fail/live TV becomes unwatchable.

3. The next day in order to restore reception I have to repeat the
procedure detailed in 1. Basically, go into mythbackend-setup, delete
all channels, unplug the amplifier, do a full scan, plug in the
amplifier again, watch TV.

It seems to me that Myth is doing some kind of housekeeping/scanning
during the night, as the situation in the morning is the same as the
situation if I were to do a full scan with the amplifier plugged in
(ITV1, ITV2, Channel 4 etc missing).

It is probably also worth mentioning that this is a fairly new
problem.Previously my system worked well, but I believe my communal
aerial has been adjusted recently. I would have to contact the
management company to find out (I certainly can pick up several new
channels now). I am within range of both the Guildford and Crystal
place transmitters so there may be an issue where I am picking up the
same channel from two sources..

Any ideas?