[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:18:39 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:12 AM, Larry on the Dell Laptop
<larry at foxgulch.com> wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>>
>> I've been following this thread since I've also been experiencing the
>> periodic remote delays.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:30 PM, lj <larry at foxgulch.com> wrote:
>>

>>> stopper.  So I'm back with what I had before but using playback profile
>>> "High Quality".  So far no delayed IR remote keypresses  and  the
>>> volume / mute controls work normally from the remote.  After three days
>>> of searching and configuring, I think "It's working, don't fix it" is
>>>

>> Regarding the setting of playback profile:  I had tried all the
>> various profiles as well, and in fact I also noticed a _reduction_ in
>> the frequency of these delays after changing the profiles as well.  I
>> think in my case it was worst when set on the "Normal" profile and got
>> better on both the "High Quality" and "Slim" settings (not sure why
>> that would be).
>>
>> At any rate, I would say that the profile definitely does seem to
>> affect the likelihood of seeing the problem (for whatever reason) but
>> does not actually address the root cause of the problem, because I
>> have seen it appear on all profiles.  From reading this thread the
>> patch that Josh made may actually be what we've been waiting for.
>>
>> I would also be happy to help test this, but I haven't been building
>> from source unfortunately (I'm currently using mythbuntu weekly -fixes
>> builds, but I'd try getting the latest svn and compiling since this
>> bug has been bothersome for quite a while now).
>>

> Joe,
>
> True to Josh's prediction,  last night I noticed an occasional  "IR Remote
> button press" delay even though I was running with the playback profile set
> to "High Quality" on version 18722, which I thought I had surely fixed!   I
> can live with it but its still an irritation.  Tomorrow I think I'll slip
> another HD in the mythbox then  get the latest builds from the mythbuntu
> repository.
> Its not all bad.  A year ago, I didn't know how to image a drive and then
> restore it,  I was terrified  inside gparted. The mysql database used to be
> a complete mystery.  So credit Mythtv for prompting my increased knowledge
> and Linux for the freedom to explore and learn!
>
> Larry

Larry/Joe, I sent an email to you two directly with an attachment
yesterday -- did you get that?  It looks like the library in question
hasn't changed since r17442, so the library file I created may well
work with your installations.  Let me know if it got blocked by a
filter and I'll try to find another place to deposit it (if you want
to try it).

Josh