[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner recommendation?

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:15:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:53 PM, James Crow <james at ultratans.com> wrote:
> I found the Pinnacle PCTV 800i PCI QAM/ATSC (and software analog)  tuner on
> sale at woot.com for $25. I picked up one and then later two more. They have

I'll enter another vote for the PCTV 800i ... Although it requires a
little more modern kernel, it works "out of the box" with up to date
distros (previously worked under ubuntu 8.04 and now mythdora 10)

One drawback, and I'm not sure if it's a pinnacle problem or a Charter
issue, but it takes forever to tune into Clear-QAM channels.  I had to
set my tuning delay to 15000 msec in mythtv-setup for it to find and
successfully tune to channels.

Once they are tuned it, I have no problems, no pixelation.  It also
multi-records just fine.  I'm often recording two separate programs
off subchannels at once.  Charter stacks NBC and ABC onto one qam
channel and FOX and CBS onto another.  When I see this card on Woot
again, I'll grab another el-cheapo and be all set for HD recordings.

-Gordon