[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner recommendation?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 30 20:12:59 UTC 2009

On Monday 30 March 2009 13:40:18 Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
> >> I use a kworld 115 and it works great for me. I am however using the
> >> v4l-dvb drivers and compiling them from source with gentoo so this is
> >> completly independent of the kernel I use.
> >
> >http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain%2C_Build_and_Install_V4L-D
>
> B_Device_Drivers
>
> >John
>
> Just out of curiosity, why go with a $75 tuner when he can get an equally
> good one for $20? Just wondering if I'm missing anything here. Does the
> kworld one doe anything different or better than the ATI HD Wonder? I've
> seen a lot of people recommend $75 pci hdtv tuners and have been wondering
> this for a while.

It's certainly true you can get tuner cards for $20 on EBay and the like.

But buying a brand-new unit, with a warranty, from a well-known vendor will
cost more, of course.

There is always a risk involved with used gear, and also with EBay deals, so I
would prefer to trade a little peace of mind for a few dollars extra.

It all depends on what you feel the potential hassle of a "deal" might be
worth, vs. how much you save.

The HDHR is the best technical solution, maybe not the best financial answer
for some people.

If in the future you wind up with a mobo that won't accomodate the PCI tuner
you got a "deal" on, then the deal doesn't look so good anymore. A
network-connected unit like the HDHR is proably going to be more obsolescence
proof.

The OP asked for opinions, which is what he got. The cost factor is something
he is going to have to evaluate in the light of his own financial position.

--
beww
beww at beww.org