[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Mon Mar 30 18:28:21 UTC 2009

kanetse at gmail.com wrote:
> All that being said, I am still using CentOS on my master
> backend/frontend today.  Despite those points I mentioned above, I do
> like the idea that there is a longer-term shelf life to the
> distribution than Fedora.  However, I probably will upgrade to CentOS
> 6 over the summer, when the TV season ends (if it's available by
> then), possibly in combination with the MythTV-0.22 release (if it's
> available by then)
This is kinda the reason I switched from my CentOS based install to
MythDora 10.21. While I switched to CentOS for the rock solid stability
and low impact of upgrades I ran into a situation that needed newer
software. I bought a digital tuner card to pick up my unencrypted QAM
from cable but it wasn't supported in the kernel version in CentOS, but
it was supported by the stock kernel in Fedora 10. We'll see how
MythDora treats me long term, but the reason I switched away from Fedora
is because I had slacked on my updates and was still running Fedora Core
4 when the whole Zip2It -> Schedules Direct thing happened. Because my
OS was so outdated, I couldn't get the packages that supported SD and
was left in a bit of a lurch. On RHEL/CentOS, MythTV is still being
built for CentOS 4 (http://atrpms.net/dist/el4/mythtv/).

Like you, I see a strong likelyhood of jumping to CentOS 6 once it comes
out.

--
http://jacob.steenhagen.us

This message is digitally signed with GnuPG using the Enigmail Thunderbird plugin.
My public key: http://jacob.steenhagen.us/gpgkey.asc (91DE47A9)