[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner recommendation?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 30 17:08:57 UTC 2009

> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:
>
>> I have been siding w/getting an HDHomerun.  Setting up hardware independent
>> of any computer protects me from obsolescence.  All my tuner cards are of
>> the older PCI type and I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until all
>> that is available are the new PCI interfaces.

I'll second (or third) the recommendation of the HDHR. Mine has worked
quite nicely with only the odd hiccup, mainly from router connection
problems.

Apropos the fact that the unit is external to the BE, it may also solve
a different problem which has been mentioned here.

I have a large external antenna pointed at stations 40 miles away. The
nearby stations are at 86 degrees to that line and do not come in at all
repeatably. And combining antenna feeds into one tuner box is basically
an impossible task.

I have ordered another (small) antenna and will be ordering another
hdhr, to handle the nearby stations separately. This will only involve
splitting my OTA lineups to segregate the antenna/tuner pairings.

Something worth considering if your locale has widespread antenna
requirements.

Geoff