[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner recommendation?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Mar 30 14:49:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 8:04 AM, stuart <stuart at xnet.com> wrote:

> I have been siding w/getting an HDHomerun.  Setting up hardware independent
> of any computer protects me from obsolescence.  All my tuner cards are of
> the older PCI type and I'm thinking it's only a matter of time until all
> that is available are the new PCI interfaces.

I've been using an HDHR for a couple years now. It's been working great. I
love that it can be put anywhere on the network without worrying about slots
or driver compatibility. My network hasn't seemed to have a problem with it,
the peak is supposed to be about 40mb/s, so it's not much for a gigabit LAN.
If it's a problem though, you could add an ethernet card I suppose and run
them off of a separate LAN.  Or even a USB ethernet device if you have no
available slots.

I'm also using it for the IR receiver on my main FE/BE combo box. When I
seperate those I'll probably switch to a USB IR reciever and move the HDHR
to the server area. My kid is way too fascinated by the lights on the front
of the HDHR. :)

I have been getting some pixelation issues lately, but I think that's more
related to the machine and/or Myth. I modified the backend to remove the
sync calls and increase the buffer size and it's helped a ton. It would be
really nice if .22 had those as config options for the backend. Last night I
moved the OS and database to a seperate drive to see if that helps as well.
I'm a little concerned as the new drive is slower, 5400RPM from an old TiVo,
but it was handy. If it helps I'll think about moving to a faster drive. It
just doesn't make sense to buy a new drive for the OS though, as it only
needs about 10G and it's hard to find cheap small drives. No point in
wasting a big disk on the OS. Perhaps I'll get another 8G USB flash stick.
That's working very well on the bedroom FE machine.