[mythtv-users] Database encodings

Glenn Sommer glemsom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 08:08:52 UTC 2009

I saw at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fixing_Corrupt_Database_Encoding that
mythtv 0.22 can only handle latin1 connections to the MySQL database - but
uses UTF8 internally (Actually it writes UTF8 into the database).

I don't understand why MythTV doesn't use UTF8 all the way - so no
encoding/decoding is required when talking to the database?
Also, putting UTF8 text in a latin1 database is in my opinion wrong... Other
clients will be unable to read the data correctly (like phpMyAdmin for
example).
In my opinion latin1 text is for latin1 databases - and UTF8 text is for
UTF8 databases...

Surely I must be missing something here?

What is the reason for breaking the database - instead of fixing MythTV?

Kind Regards
Glenn Sommer