[mythtv-users] What HDMI Video / Audio card

Andy Burns mythtv.lists at burns.me.uk
Sun Mar 29 23:32:45 UTC 2009

2009/3/24 Tobias <kuzum at mebias.org>:
> planing to set up a Mythtv box, I can not find sufficient references about a
> Video card whom is able to display video as well as audio signal on HDMI
> Want do use only HDMI to display Video as well as Audio.
> Do you have experiences either with Video cards or Mobo's who have a HDMI
> video chip.

I have ASUS P5E-VM-HDMI

with Fedora10 stereo audio plays ok via the HDMI connection, I use it
at 1080p so mythtv is upscaling PAL fro 720x576i

If I enable 5.1 passthrough then the TV doesn't recognise the sound
channels, even when only playing stereo, so in fact I use the normal
stereo 3.5mm lineout for watching normal TV (advantage is that the
volume mixer works which it can't do in S/PDIF) and coax S/SPDIF for
watching DVDs (5.1 passthrough works nicely)

Don't know if you'll run into the same problem with IEC958_2 outputs
over HDMI on other motherboards too

> It should be also considered to play HD movies nicely

I've only played a few 720p and 1080i samples