[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

lj larry at foxgulch.com
Sun Mar 29 22:37:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2008-11-10 at 11:16 -0800, Josh Mastronarde wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 5:13 AM, Jason Weida <jason.m.weida at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 7:31 PM, Sean Cier <scier at posthorizon.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Another data point.  One of my frontends did this, a lot -- half the
> >> time I tried to do something, it'd take two minutes or more to realize
> >> I'd hit a button.  Made it completely unusable -- who wants a DVR that
> >> won't pause?
> >>
> >> -- It is *not* lirc: when the problem popped up, both my remote and my
> >> (non-lirc) IR keyboard did exactly the same thing.
> >>
> >> -- Started right after a "latest FC8" -> "latest FC9" upgrade a couple
> >> days ago (both on -fixes via atrpms).  *Never* happened before that, and
> >> this hardware's been running a frontend for over four years (the latest
> >> clean reinstall was at least a few months ago).
> >>
> >> -- Turning on OpenGL sync seems to have made the problem nearly go
> >> away.  I have observed it once since then (in about 1.5 evenings of
> >> usage).
> >>
> >> -- I only ever observed it during playback, not in menus (SDTV; this
> >> thing's /just/ powerful enough to play most 720p HDTV streams pulled off
> >> cable, but I don't have any at the moment because my backend doesn't get
> >> along with my cable box over firewire lately.  Gonna buy an HDHR as soon
> >> as Amazon's price goes down again.  I'd already have it if Amazon hadn't
> >> canceled their price guarantee policy...)
> >>
> >> -- I only ever observed it after the playback had been running for at
> >> least a minute or two.  Similarly, once it responded to something, it
> >> seems like it continued responding for at least a little while.  This
> >> could be a sampling bias though.
> >>
> >> -- At least some of the commands queued up; I'd hit some buttons, then
> >> sit and wait for a while, and *usually* eventually they (or at least
> >> some of them) would take effect, all in a row.  Of course, I've no idea
> >> what level they queued up at.  I *know* keyboard commands queued up, but
> >> I'm not 100% certain I observed lirc events queue up.  The keyboard
> >> always seemed to provide a higher chance of actually working, eventually.
> >>
> >> -- Changing playback profiles, video-as-timebase, extra-audio-buffering
> >> had no effect.  Enabling realtime threads didn't either, but I didn't
> >> verify changing that setting actually worked on the system, so it
> >> could've been a no-op anyhow.
> >>
> >> -spc
> >>

> > Good points, I'm seeing the same.  Playback only, other menus work just
> > fine.  Next time it happens to me, I'll check that screensaver/xorg business
> > in the other thread, but it sounds a like a different issue since keyboard
> > commands are not responding as well (I have a wired PS2 keyboard).  It
> > sounds like everyone who has observed the problem is using a lower end
> > machine, so maybe that's part of the issue.
>
> Has anyone had any luck in resolving this yet?  I just had a forced
> machine upgrade (motherboard failure), and am seeing this issue, and
> [...]

I might have stumbled on to a fix, at least for my particular mythtv
box.  I noticed that in my frontend -> Setup -> TVSettings -> Playback
-> Playback Profiles (3/9) was set to CPU++.  I thought that was OK
since I have a Core duo 2.45 GHz with 4 GB of memory fast Sata HD,
etc.

Maybe not because when I changed the Current Video Playback Profile: to
"High Quality", my initial tests show the "accumulative ir button press
delay" problem is gone away.

Could someone else try this and report the results under this thread?

Thanks
Larry