[mythtv-users] I just don't get it...

Marvin Match match at ece.utah.edu
Sun Mar 29 15:59:04 UTC 2009

On 28 Mar 2009 at 23:01, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Saturday 28 March 2009 17:21:22 Marvin Match wrote:
> >
> > Here's where I'm at:
> > I can run MythSetup steps 1-3, but when I get to 4 "input
> > connections" I have trouble. All's well it seems, both ports on my
> > HDHR are listed, but when I scan for channels I get "Timeout Scaning
> > ATSC Channel x -- no tables". where x is 2 through whatever, however
> > it is actually finding channels, most of which are at 91%... it's
> > aparently just not telling Myth that it's finding anything, or so it
> > seems.
>
> That's normal, especially for the lower channels, which have no digital info
> on them (because they are analog channels). You will get a signal indication
> even on the analog channels.
>
> I get the same thing as you do, until the scan gets to channel 73 (this will
> depend on your cable system).
>
> Also, be sure you are set to US-Cable and not US-Bcast, or you will not find
> any channels above 13.
>
> I also assume you have set the scan for only unencrypted channels, in which
> case the scan will only find unencrypted channels (makes sense hey?), and it
> is just possible your cable has none of those (though it should, at least for
> the off-airs).

Thanks Brian.

All good advice, except that this is an over-the-air installation,
not cable, therefore shouldn't the choice be US-Bcast? As it scans,
some of the channels are "locked" which I assume means that the
system found a digital signal and was able to lock onto it, but even
on those channels I get the "Timeout Scaning
ATSC Channel x -- no tables" response, all the way to the top of the
list.

Marvin