[mythtv-users] CentOS vs Fedora, RAID vs LVM

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 00:48:37 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/3/29 Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com>:
> Your high recommendation for JFS has me intrigued. I've been a pretty
> absent-minded, "default" ext3 user for some time now and haven't even really
> thought of a FS change. I am really considering converting my recordings to
> JFS now (just have to plan an overnight move of all the data to my external
> drive beforehand, of course hehe). Would it be worth it to convert to JFS vs
> ext3 for my recordings partitions? What are the benefits?

Much lower CPU usage, much faster at handling big files, virtually
unlimited size recordings (with the default 1kB block, ext3 has a
limit of 16GB, I've had recordings well in excess of that size)

You can grow the FS without even unmounting the disk...

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ext3+vs+jfs&ie=UTF-8

JFS or XFS are just much better suited for mythtv is pretty much the
conclusion of every one who analysed the pro and cons...
http://linuxgazette.net/102/piszcz.html

Now whether it's worth converting your existing FS I don't know ...
but if you were to start from scratch it's a no brainer for me...