[mythtv-users] Best update path from Fedora 6

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 20:11:39 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:26 AM, Udo van den Heuvel <udovdh at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Calvin Dodge wrote:
>>
>> I've successfully updated a system from Fedora Core 5 to Fedora 9.
>>
>> I just upgraded one version at a time (using "yum upgrade" after
>> installing the appropriate fedora-release RPM), skipping 8 (so it went
>> 6, 7, 9).
>>
>> IIRC, mythtv-setup updates the database with new fields. I think
>> you'll want to run mysql_upgrade, too.
>
> And backup beforehand...

I'm a big fan myself of allocating space for 2 "root" partitions, and
ping-ponging which one has the "active" installation.  You can use "cp
-a" to copy one to the other, manually edit grub.conf and make sure
both boot properly, then upgrade one while retaining the option to
fall back to a known good installation.  Personally, however, I prefer
to install fresh from scratch each time (keeping notes on steps,
packages to install, copying specific /etc files from the old setup,
etc).  It may be a bit more work up front, but I find it eliminates a
lot of weird legacy stuff that's hard to debug.

Josh