[mythtv-users] Can a laptop be used as a combined FE/BE with external tuners?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Mar 28 18:16:18 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 12:03:51 tech lists wrote:
> On 3/28/09, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 28 March 2009 10:47:45 tech lists wrote:
> >> Using for example an HDHomeRun?
> >
> > Sure, why not. A laptop is just a computer in another form factor.
> >
> > Laptops tend to be slower, and have less storage, than desktop PCs, so
> > you will need a fast machine, with sufficient storage (or available
> > network storage).
>
> It's a temporary plan until a separate backend is built.  The laptop
> has a 7200 rpm drive and a 2.66 GHz core duo.  Storage isn't an issue
> for now.
>
> > Laptop video hardware tends to be more lightweight, so VDPAU is
> > out of the question except in rare cases.
>
> The laptop comes with a NVIDIA GeForce 9650M GT card and a 1080
> capable screen (plan to use it as a front end later).  VDPAU was
> planned on being used, if this is a problem with this nvidia card then
> maybe I'll go with a cheaper laptop and stick with lower resolutions.
> I thought that nvidia cards above 9000x handled VDPAU under most
> cases.  Is this incorrect?

It's correct as far as I know, but you need 512MB of RAM, and since laptops
steal RAM from your main memory, that's a big chunk removed from service.

> > HD will be more of a challenge for the hardware, especially on playback.
>
> cpu will hopefully handle it if VDPAU doesn't work.  At least 720 should
> work.

Agreed. That CPU should be adequate for software decoding, at least anything
short of high bitrate h264.

> > You might also be able to use USB type tuners, like the Plextor
> > PX-TV-402U
>
> I actually have this unit but didn't understand all the steps to get
> it to work with mythtv the last time I looked (quite a while ago).

I've used them with success. Only the MPEG4 mode was supported my Myth, unless
that's changed since I played with them, so you got smaller files, but higher
CPU playback requirements, still not too bad though.

> Not an option right now as the laptop is first on the list, the
> HDHomeRun is already sitting on a shelf and the Plextor has been
> sitting on a shelf for a long time now.  Maybe I'll figure out how to
> get it working with mythtv after I get the HDHomeRun working.

I know Mythdora has the required software to make the Plextor work, it just
worked when I tried it. Of course it can accept analog or baseband NTSC only.

Certainly sounds like you are on the right path, have fun.

--
beww
beww at beww.org