[mythtv-users] New deinterlacer for perfect image quality when using an interlaced display, mode that matches the source

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 14:38:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:40 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> says:
>> In libs/libmythtv/NuppelVideoPlayer.cpp, at the very end of
>> NuppelVideoPlayer::AutoDeint() I changed the line:
>>
>> m_scan_locked  = false;
>>
>> ...to...
>>
>> m_scan_locked = (m_scan_tracker > min_count);
>
> Thanks for this; it neatly answered my request for same
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/375271#375271>.
> My display is progressive, not interlaced, but the phantom
> progresive-frames issue bedevils all of us. I agree your hack is
> probably not ideal for DVD playback (where there really is content
> with both interlaced and true progressive frames mixed together,
> apparently), but like you I almost never use MythTV for DVDs. Until a
> more-comprehensive solution arrives yours will do nicely.
>
> --
> Frontend/backend:       P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array
> Backend:                Quad-core Xeon 1.6GHz, 6.6TB sw RAID 6
> Video inputs:           Four high-definition over FireWire/OTA
> Accessories:            47" 1080p LCD, 5.1 digital, and MX-600

You're welcome!  I used to generally ignore that disabling and
re-enabling of the deinterlacer caused by those as it didn't seem to
affect Bob x2.  I generally tried to remember to switch from "Detect"
to "Interlaced (normal)" when watching NBC and CBS shows, but it
really didn't make a difference.

However it really did cause problems with the new deinterlacer, and
this addresses that.  Come to think of it,  I suppose that hack could
use this:

m_scan_locked = (m_scan_tracker > min_count && !ringBuffer->isDVD());

...thus behaving exactly as it used to for DVD playback.

Tom