[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Josh Mastronarde jmastron at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 20:14:53 UTC 2009

2009/3/27 Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Josh Mastronarde <jmastron at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 8:24 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > I've had very little time to trouble shoot it but in my situation it
>> > mostly seems to happen on certain recordings. I have a Athlon X2
>> > 2.7GHz (Kuma AM2+ CPU) w/ 2GB memory (1066MHz) and 8400GS running
>> > 0.21-fixes (no additional patches) and Using Slim profile.
>> >
>> > Regular HD content works fine, frontend stays relatively responsive. X
>> > eats 7-14% CPU on top and mythfrontend runs 40-80%.
>> >
>> > SD content that has been scaled up to HD seems to cause me grief. CPU
>> > wise the tables are turned and X eats 85-97% CPU on one core and
>> > mythfrontend is eating 7-14%. But even though only one core is maxed
>> > out and the other is not the remote (and keyboard) will not respond
>> > for up to 30 seconds (rarely more) but will stay responsive for a
>> > short duration (as long as I continue to press buttons).
>> >
>> > Richard
>>
>> For me, I had apparently 2 different causes, at different times:
>>
>> 1)  When I had only PVR150 mpeg2 content, I had to add:
>>
>>        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
>>
>> to /etc/X11/xorg.conf for my Nvidia 6200 card.  That made it go away
>> the first time.
>>
>> 2)  Now that I have mixed PVR150 and HDHomerun recordings, the problem
>> came back along with some other problems, like the files not always
>> playing.  I root caused those to an issue with the file type detection
>> in the FFMPEG library that's part of Myth -- mpeg TS vs mpeg PS --
>> appeared to sometimes play with the wrong decoder, but not quite
>> right.  Once I patched to fix that, the remote lag hasn't reappeared
>> either.  As soon as I get a chance, I'm going to file a ticket to see
>> if my patch can get put in 0.21-fixes (trunk seems to have already
>> synced with the latest ffmpeg library with the better probe
>> procedure).  If you compile yourself and want to try what I did, email
>> me and I'll send you the patch file.  It's a fix to the "mpegps_probe"
>> procedure in libs/libavformat/mpeg.c
>>
>> Josh
>
> Thanks for the update.  I have UseEvents True in my setup so that isn't it.
>  The other solution is of interest but I don't compile my own.  I  have 8.04
> LTS with fixes.  I hate to change things because it always breaks stuff.
>  However, I would like to get this problem fixed.  Is there a way to do some
> limited patch of some files and install  your fix?  If not, I would be very
> interested to know when it is in the fixes as that would definitely be worth
> taking the chance on updating the system.  Without a fix to this problem, I
> am sticking with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy.
> Allen

To see if this even might be the issue, try:

1)  mythfrontend -v important,libav > log
2)  View an HDHomerun recording
3)  grep "Input #" log

For a PVR-150 recording, I get:
  2009-03-27 12:57:06.708 Input #0, mpeg, from '/video/1003_20090326220000.mpg':

But for an HDHomerun recording, I now get (post-fix):
  2009-03-27 12:56:41.795 Input #0, mpegts, from
'/video/2031_20090326213100.mpg':

Note the "mpeg" vs "mpegts".  What do you get (report all matching
lines; it appears to re-probe in some instances, which may be what
leaves things hanging and causing lirc delays).

Josh