[mythtv-users] Suspend to RAM

Peter Lord peter at plord.co.uk
Fri Mar 27 18:35:06 UTC 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009 21:18:32 Geoffrey Leach wrote:
> On 03/26/2009 11:29:15 AM, Peter Lord wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm currently setting up a combined frontend/backend mythtv box - I'm
> > nearly
> > there :-), but I have a few outstanding questions.  I'll post them
> > individually.
> >
> > I'm using .21-fixes from
> > http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Ubuntu_Repository.html
> > on a
> > M3N78-VM based system.
> >
> > Although I have the system shutting down when idle and starting up
> > before the
> > next record, the cycle is fairly slow.  So I would like to suspend to
> > RAM
> > instead of the shutdown.  However, using hibernate-ram, I'm not
> > getting very
> > far ... typically I end up with a blank screen with a flashing cursor
> > in the
> > top left corner.
> >
> > Is there a recipe to follow to get suspend to RAM working with a
> > combined
> > frontend/backend with USB DVB drivers and nvidia ?  Or am I expecting
> > too much
> >
> > :-)
>
> Are you able to suspend/resume outside of MythTV?  I recently tracked
> down a problem with the same symptoms that turned out to be a bug in a
> USB wireless driver. You might wish to check out the procedure in the
> kernel's basic-pm-debugging.txt -
> http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt

Many thanks for the link.

Firstly I found that I was resuming immediately - I think this was due to PCI
wakeup - after disabling that in the bios I got suspend working.

I've also got resume working ... well sort of.  On resume I get a shell but
lots of I/O errors to my (sata) disk.  So it looks like a sata driver issue.

Googling, it looks like I might need 2.6.19 kernel ... not sure if there is a
convenient deb for mythbuntu.

--
Peter Lord (Home)

The chief cause of problems is solutions.