[mythtv-users] xvmc and nvidia 8000 series

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Mar 27 14:58:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 8:50 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to get a new low-profile fanless card.  I'm not familiar with
> VDPAU, but if I can use that instead of XVMC on 8000 series cards that will
> open up the options a bit.

You must not have been keeping up with the list. :) VDPAU is great stuff. It
offloads ALL of the decoding to the video card. People on the list have been
using fanless cards without trouble. I don't know about low profile though,
but if you have found some, they should be fine.

You have to be willing to run beta quality software, but the drivers and
MythTV have been working great for me. I can decode 1080p h264 video files I
couldn't play at all before at about 5% CPU now.