[mythtv-users] Seagate 1.5TB for 109.99

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Mar 26 17:21:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, March 26, 2009 10:03 am, John Drescher wrote:
> Do you guys remember hard drives from 20 years ago? I mean you paid
> $700 USA for them and they all came with a list of 100s of bad sectors
> standard and as you used them more would be added.

Yup, I remember that.  There'd be a "defect list" printed on top of the
drive with the C/H/S numbers of the known bad sectors.

Actually, though, drives still have defect lists; it's just that it's
handled internally, now, and they have a certain number of "extra" sectors
that can be used to replace ones that fail.  When you get the drive the
known factory defects have already been remapped.  New ones that fail as
you use the drive are remapped on the fly and that's what you see in the
SMART data.