[mythtv-users] Seagate 1.5TB for 109.99

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Thu Mar 26 09:46:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

> Just wondering, I heard about some issues with this drive
> from some myth users a few months back. Have those issues
> been fixed? Can someone recommend
> this drive to me for my main recordings drive?

Back then, the issue was cache flush commands not completing while streaming data off the drive. This only happend with the drive write cache enabled.

A firmware update that fixed this issue was provided by seagate.

Next there was a 2nd firmware problem: certain drives could be "bricked" when power cycling; also fixed by a firmware update.

At least for me, a final issue remains: I've never had harddrives develop so many relocated sectors in such a short time. I started logging changes  when I first noticed the sector counts (about one month after initial install) - they had all started out clean.

Table contains a date column and relocated sector counts for each of my 5 drives:

2009-01-14 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 2; 7;
2009-02-12 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 2; 20;
2009-03-11 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 3; 20;
2009-03-17 01:00:02; 0; 1; 1; 3; 21;
2009-03-18 01:00:01; 0; 1; 1; 4; 21;

So after about 4 Months, 4 out of 5 drives show reallocated sectors;

I've got a 2nd batch of 8 drives at work but they're behind a HP P400 Controller that unfortunately doesn't allow access to the smart data, so no Idea how these are doing. At least ther have been no outright failures.

Bye, Martin