[mythtv-users] OT: Router/net connection issues

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 25 22:26:02 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 March 2009 16:04:13 Bobby Gill wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Mike Perkins
>
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>wrote:
> > Bobby Gill wrote:
> >> Yesterday, my sites stopped loading in Firefox all of a sudden, and I
> >> whipped out the shell to do a quick ping google.ca, which didn't
> >> respond. I
> >> tried opening up my Linksys CP in FF @ 192.168.1.1, but it timed out as
> >> well. However, my SSH connection to my mythbox/server was running fine.
> >> I was in a big hurry at the moment so without looking into the issue I
> >> ran down to the basement and power cycled the router (not the best idea
> >> perhaps,
> >> but again, was in a hurry).
> >>
> >> It just happened again now. I am wondering what this could be and what I
> >> should look for if/when it happens again, as it's becoming pretty
> >> irritating. It's not my cable modem, it is running fine and there have
> >> been
> >> no outages in my area. It must be the router, but I don't know enough
> >> about
> >> them to see what it could be and/or how to fix.
> >>
> >> I'm running a Linksys WRT54GS with the most recent firmware (Firmware
> >> Version: v1.52.5), and I have my mythbox (BE/server) and desktop/FE.
> >>
> >> Figured I'd ask my mythlist brethren of knowledgeable folk :)
> >>
> >>  Sorry, in a hurry, no time to check, but there's a virus/worm/whatever
> >
> > around which attacks routers *like yours*. It locks you out of adminning
> > your box then turns it into a bot. Nuke it and rebuild, and make sure you
> > give it a strong enough password.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Mike Perkins
>
> Well I'll be, how do I "nuke and rebuild" the router? You mean do a reset
> on it and change password for the admin??

Here's the link describing the probem:

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/23/2257252

I'm not sure if the problem effects routers running the stock Linksys
firmware, or only those running third-party firmwares like dd-wrt or openWRT.

I'd re-install the firmware, you can get the stock version from the Linksys
site, then set up a different password.

--
beww
beww at beww.org