[mythtv-users] Testing HDMI

Geoffrey Leach geoff at hughes.net
Wed Mar 25 21:07:33 UTC 2009

On 03/24/2009 04:31:25 PM, Jan Schneider wrote:
> Zitat von Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net>:

> >> provides
> is
> >> Bravura

> are
> Earphone

> >> was
> >> way
> >> of

> >> What is the output of:
> >> aplay -l
> > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
> > card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888
> Analog]
> >   Subdevices: 1/1
> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> > card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888
> Digital]
> >   Subdevices: 1/1
> >   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> >
> >> aplay -L
> > default:CARD=NVidia
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
> >     Default Audio Device
> > front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
> >     Front speakers
> > surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
> >     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> > surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
> >     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> > surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
> >     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> > surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
> >     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer
> speakers
> > surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Analog
> >     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer
> > speakers
> > iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
> >     HDA NVidia, ALC888 Digital
> >     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
> > null
> >     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples
> (capture)
> >
> > FWIW, iec958 is un-muted via alsamixer
>
> The hdmi output is missing. This is how it should look like (similar
> MB, alsa 1.0.19):
>
> default:CARD=NVidia
>      HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
>      Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>      HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
>      Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>      HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
>      4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>      HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
>      4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>      HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
>      5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>      HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
>      5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer
> speakers
> [...]

This seems to have nailed my problem. Allen Edwards also pointed out
the aplay -L appears to be missing a third device. This would seem to
indicate that I'm missing the codec for HDMI.

On your system, what does 'cat /proc/asound/version' say? I get
	Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.17.
which strikes me as odd. Perhaps my kernel (stock
2.6.27.12-170.2.5.fc10) has an out-of-date driver?