[mythtv-users] Need to quiet my frontend...

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Mar 25 18:02:04 UTC 2009

>I have a frontend system in the bedroom. It's a slim form factor Compaq
>D5S/P1.7 running mythdora 5. The system is fairly quiet except for the
>hard drive. What are people doing to quiet these down?
>
>I tried installing the system to a flash drive, but the install keeps
>failing. Not sure it will run well enough off a flash drive anyway.
>
>The other possibility is running off the network. Anybody doing this
>successfully?
>
>Are there hard drive options that are quieter? SSD maybe?
>
>Any suggestions appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>James

These are slient unless you literally touch your ear to the drive:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HMS360404D5CF00&cpc=SCH

I've had one in a home made picture frame I built 2 years ago. I've used
several of these refurbs from geeks and have never had a problem. The
picture frame one runs all day long. You will need a compact flash to hard
drive adapter for it to work, but linux and even windows treat these like
regular hard drives.

-Steve