[mythtv-users] video card selection

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 15:37:19 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 10:12 -0400, John Drescher wrote:
>
> > > 3Ghz is right on the edge for playing blu-ray (my 3.2 Ghz Q6600 could
> > > play about a third of the blu-rays I threw at it). So if the windows
> > > system offloads anything at all it should work.
> > >
> > But a 3GHz Pentium D is equivalent to the lowest clocked core2s. I am
> > talking about the ones that are less than 2GHz.
>
> My bad, I missed the "D". Never mind.

I agree that the Pentium D isn't ideal, but with the decoding burden handled
by the video card, shouldn't the CPU be essentially irrelevant?  People are
talking about atom powered HD frontends; this would seem like a similar
situation.  Without upgrading the motherboard, there's not much more I can
put in the machine for a CPU (it's one of the original Pentium D CPU's in an
intel 955x chipset...doesn't support Core2Duo)

Upon further study, I've realized that with the card mentioned above, you
can only use two outputs at any given time, which would incline me to just
add a second, more economical graphics card (since I have a second pcie
slot). The question remains: would I have any chance of playing a blu-ray
using Pure Video to handle the video decoding chores using my current
setup?  I believe I'm going to upgrade the hardware either way, as I can at
least use it to rip movies and watch them using my myth system.

If no one knows if this will work, I'll do some testing and report my
results.