[mythtv-users] OT: Confused between geforce 8200 and 8300 IGPs motherboards

Alex Williamson alex.l.williamson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 14:40:50 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:

> I purchased the M3N78-EM, specifically chasing the 8300 chipset. I am
> no longer using the onboard graphics and purchased an 8400GS MSI card.
> I could never get rid of the occasional jerky playback, no matter what
> I tried.

Hmm, you might check my thread on glitchy audio.  I was having lots of
trouble with vdpau playback with cpufreq enabled and scaling back my
processor to 1GHz.  This seems to affect the memory bandwidth, which
is also shared by the onboard gfx.  If I limit scaling to no less than
1.8GHz, I get nice playback using the 8200 IGP.

> I have had better results after installing the graphics card.

A graphics card has it's own memory, so is much less affected by
memory bandwidth when the processor scales back it's frequency.

Alex