[mythtv-users] Frontend questions

Patrick Lorigan pat711 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 05:14:04 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> 2009/3/25 Patrick Lorigan <pat711 at gmail.com>:
> > 1. I'm currently using the IR receiver on one of my Hauppauge 250s and a
> > Harmony 880 (emulating the Hauppauge a415 remote) to control my machine.
> >  Once I move the backend and tuners out of the room, I'll need to get a
> new
> > IR receiver.  Can anyone recommend a USB IR receiver that is
> well-supported
> > by LIRC that will recognize my current remote setup with minimal
> > reconfiguration?
>
> If you like Hauppauge, their MCE remote worked right away with little
> configuration required.
>
> > 2. Will a motherboard with an integrated Geforce 9300 or 8300 be enough
> > playback HD video (via DVI/HDMI), or do I need to go with a dedicated
> card?
> >  The machine will most likely have a Core 2 Duo E7400 (or comparable AMD
> > chip), and 4GB or RAM.  I'm currently playing back HD using a Geforce
> 5300
> > without any problems on the backend machine (similar processor and RAM).
> > Thanks,
>
> That processor is enough to play most HD using software decompression,
> but thanks to VDPAU you could even say it's slightly overkill... a
> 9300 will do a great job there...
>
> Why don't you get one of the new mac mini? it has everything you need:
> it's tiny, virtually silent, comes with an IR receiver and onboard
> nvidia 9400.
> can't get any smaller !
>
> Jean-Yves

Thanks for the response.

Since I already have the remote I want I was hoping to just find a cheap USB
IR receiver, but it seems like it's cheaper to just get a MCE remote of some
sort that comes with a receiver and throw the remote in a drawer.

I was thinking about a Mac Mini, but I can save about $200 and go with an
Antec NSK2840 that will fit in with my other electronics OK.  Besides, if I
came home with a new Mac Mini my wife would probably make me replace the
PowerPC Mini sitting on our desk and then I still wouldn't have my new
frontend.

I guess I'll be spending some money at Newegg tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

--Pat