[mythtv-users] Can anyone explain these MythTV/MythWeb access quirks?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 24 23:08:20 UTC 2009

On 03/24/2009 03:55 AM, Simon Hobson wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> > **However**, if I use ssh to get through my firewall from the wan and
>>>  ssh-tunnel to the mythweb screen,
>>
>> Meaning what?
>
> SSH includes a tunneling facility as standard. On the command line,
> adding something like '-L 8080:192.168.1.123:80' builds an encrypted
> tunnel between endpoints so that anything (TCP) you send to port 8080
> on the local machine gets squirted out the other end and directed at
> port 80 on 192.168.1.123. So if 192.168.1.123 is your Myth server, you
> can access it at http://localhost:8080
>
> Really handy, it works whenever you are able to use SSH - I use it a
> lot for remote access to stuff. No other ports to open or software to
> install on the gateway, and all the traffic is encrypted by SSH so
> it's as secure as your SSH setup.
>
> There's also an option to build a tunnel the other way, giving devices
> on the remote network access to devices on your local net.
>
> And if you can get your head around it, you can do fun things like
> setup a tunnel using the remote gateway, then SSH over this tunnel to
> another machine on the remote net, and do X-forwarding to get native X
> access to it.

Thanks.  You didn't read anything more of my post than the part you
quoted, did you?

(I.e. like the part where I asked if the OP meant exactly what you just
described--and told him it /would not/ work--or any of the /other/ ways
of using ssh to "tunnel" through a firewall (such as the SOCKS
proxy--which /would/ work).  Of course, I /still/ don't know what a
"MythWeb screen" is, but I'm pretty sure that was just a poor choice of
words.)

Mike