[mythtv-users] Backend for fast commercial flagging (HD-PVR recordings)

Steve Heistand steve at heistand.org
Tue Mar 24 13:03:30 UTC 2009

John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>, said on Tue Mar 24, 2009 [08:54:10 AM]:
} > your average sata drive is 30-40 MB/s, really good ones 70MB/s.
} > but fortunately 104 is Mbits not MB. so a single drive could keep
} > up with 4 streams. though if its also a system drive it wont
} > be happy about it.
} >
} I think you could run into problems with the forced flushes that
} mythtv does periodically. In 0.21believe you may have to edit the code
} to disable this. I am not sure about 0.22.
}
} Also you could use storage groups and more than 1 drive.
}

for a while when my raid was down I was using a local disk for my storage group.
with trunk and 6mbit data rate myth would force a flush every second.

it was almost theraputic listening to the somewhat loud drive move a head
every second..

When it was recording 2 hdpvr streams it was every half second, 3 was every 1/4
second. dont have 4 so cant say but I would assume it would then be every 1/8th
second a flush would happen.
double that for the data rate change and I would think a drive could handle
a flush every 0.06 seconds.

this of course will wear out the drive pretty fast if its not a really
good enterprise level but data backups are the OP problem.

--
"Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
steve at heistand.org