[mythtv-users] Backend for fast commercial flagging (HD-PVR recordings)

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Mar 24 12:20:33 UTC 2009

>>> I will be doing up to 4 commercial flagging jobs at once, depending on
>>> what's on of course.
>
> Won't you run into disk-i/o troubles, stuttering ..

He was asking about 13Mbit files, so if he needs 4 recording + 4
flagging  (not to mention anyone watching a recording) then he's gonna
need 104 Mbit/sec. Even the fastest hard disk (the velociraptor) won't
keep up with this (even it's sequential read/write speeds will drop
below this from time to time). However, any pair of half decent hard
drives should have no trouble handling this as long as the recordings
are split between them, or if they are in a RAID 0 setup.

--
Ron