[mythtv-users] Updating mythtv video's list from the command line?

Eric Malenfant cat5 at catfive.org
Mon Mar 23 18:06:33 UTC 2009

Hello everyone.
I've been lurking for over a year, reading up on the stuff I like and
keeping up with the MythTV community for over a year, and here is my 1st
post.

I'm running mythbuntu 8.10 (since 7.04... always a dist-upgrade...)
anyways, my question: When I through in a new movie.avi into my videos
folder, I always have to go to my box in the basement to run the update
manager.

Is there not a way to do this from the command line?
Someone may suggest xVnc or other "desktop" remote app, but I've done
this as well, and well, I don't like it much. I'd rather just ssh in,
run the command, and go over to my Xbox 360 - and have all
my ripped movies there. I've noticed this more recently with my 3 week
old xbox 360, which I though would be a nice replacement over my Xbox
XBMC server, but at least XBMC would see the movie immediately through
SMB/CIFS, but the 360 is using the DB/UPnP info, which needs me to run
the update manager...

Anyone have a solution?

Regards,
Eric Malenfant, RHCE/CCSE+/NGX CCSE/NSA
Proprietor, Catfive Networks

Words for the wise:

Problems in Windows, reboot
Problems in Linux, be root!

Linux is User-Friendly, It's just picky who it's friends are!