[mythtv-users] screwed up my 180.41 nv update

Kevin Bailey ke-myth at retriever.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 23 01:42:28 UTC 2009

I noticed the 180.41 drivers availability a couple days
but held off upgrading. Finally did it today thinking,
no problem. uh uh.

At some point X crashed and when I re-started it, it
said that the driver was the wrong version.

So I did some digging and apparently its loading the
driver from the restricted-modules package. So I
nuke that and nuke nvidia-180-kernel-source. After
looking around, the only nvidia.ko in sight is one
over in /var...dkms...collisions.

I re-install nvidia-180-kernel-source (and nvidia-glx-180)
and it looks like it builds just great. But when I
modprobe it, it gives some vague error:

$ sudo modprobe -vvv nvidia
install /sbin/lrm-video nvidia
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.20-16-generic/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko
NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=44 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660
FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia

tailing /var/log/kern.log, it says, "Unknown symbol _proxy_pda".

I can insmod the driver under ...collisions... but
then X says that its the wrong version. I suspect
that this is the driver from restricted...

No one else having trouble ? Perhaps _proxy_pda is a
symbol in a newer kernel ? Sure would like to find
out before having to re-build lirc...

I'm running intrepid.