[mythtv-users] No "configure" command for mythfilldatabase

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sat Mar 21 08:59:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Dave M G <martin at autotelic.com> wrote:

> Jean-Yves,
>
> Thank you for responding.
>
>> Restart mythtv-setup and redo the video sources settings. When you add
>> a grabber, you will get something on the command line where you
>> started mythtv-setup , pay attention to those output and answer any
>> questions properly.
>>

> It doesn't look like anything useful came up in the command line. After
> recreating the video source and following all instructions, it says only
> this:
>
> ~$ mythtv-setup
> * Stopping MythTV server: mythbackend
> [ OK ]
> * Restarting MythTV server: mythbackend
> No /usr/bin/mythbackend found running; none killed.
>
> I think tv_grab_jp might be fubar, because it looks to me like it can't
> find the listings source when I try to run it with the "--configure"
> command.
>
> $ sh tv_grab_jp --configure
> tv_grab_jp: 3: =pod: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 5: =head1: not found
> using config filename /home/media/.xmltv/tv_grab_jp.conf
> config file /home/media/.xmltv/tv_grab_jp.conf is empty, please delete and
> run me with --configure
> tv_grab_jp: 9: =head1: not found
> /usr/bin/tv_grab_jp: get Japanese television listings in XMLTV format
> To configure: /usr/bin/tv_grab_jp --configure [--config-file FILE] [--gui
> OPTION]
> To grab listings: /usr/bin/tv_grab_jp [--config-file FILE] [--output FILE]
> [--days N]
>       [--offset N] [--enable-readstr] [--no-category-code]
>       [--quiet]
> To list channels: /usr/bin/tv_grab_jp --list-channels
> using config filename /home/media/.xmltv/tv_grab_jp.conf
> getting regions
> could not fetch
> http://www.ontvjapan.com/areachange/areaselect.php3?tv=1&force=1, error:
> 403 Forbidden, aborting
> using config filename /home/media/.xmltv/tv_grab_jp.conf
> config file /home/media/.xmltv/tv_grab_jp.conf is empty, please delete and
> run me with --configure
> tv_grab_jp: 16: [--offset: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 17: [--quiet]: not found
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE tv SYSTEM "xmltv.dtd">
>
> getting regions
> could not fetch
> http://www.ontvjapan.com/areachange/areaselect.php3?tv=1&force=1, error:
> 403 Forbidden, aborting
> <tv source-info-url="http://www.ontvjapan.com/" source-data-url="
> http://www.ontvjapan.com/program/" generator-info-name="XMLTV"
> generator-info-url="http://membled.com/work/apps/xmltv/">tv_grab_jp: 21:
> =head1: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 23: Output: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 24: The: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 25: time.: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 27: First: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 28: to: not found
> tv_grab_jp: 29: listings: not found
> using config filename /home/media/.xmltv/tv_grab_jp.conf
> [...]

mythfilldatabase calls tv_grab_XYZ (without --configure, it should have
gotten configured when you set up your video sources).  If that script
errors it can:
-just die without error
-die with "Your grabber failed" and hide the error
or
-pipe the grabber output to stdout in case it has useful info

It does #3 as it is the most useful.  Perhaps #2 with a log file could be
alright, but it's not a killer.  Your grabber returned an error WITHOUT
saying it came from the grabber.  MOST programs put "tv_grab_XYZ: No config
file found, run with --configure..." in its output.

Mythtv was simply passing on the output VERBATIM (remember mythtv has to
work with EVERY country's tv_grab, not customize to one) for you to use.  If
it had hidden that info it would have been even more confusing.

The big problem is that you had not configured your video source, which is a
prerequisite for running mythfilldatabase.  Remember that ALL STEPS in
configuration MUST be done as the same user (usually mythtv) as video
sources mostly store configuration data in your home directory.