[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Sat Mar 21 00:29:54 UTC 2009

+++ David Brodbeck [2009-03-20 16:56 -0700]:
> On Fri, March 20, 2009 2:38 pm, John Finlay wrote:

> The ones our utility oh-so-helpfully installed in our bathroom take over a
> minute to warm up.  Just what you want in a room you spend maybe three
> minutes in at a time.  They also don't like being frequently switched on
> and off, and have begun dying about six months after they were installed.
> Color me unimpressed; I'll be replacing them with incandescent bulbs.

Please don't do that. Either get some better CFLs (there are plenty),
or consider LEDs. The best LEDs (100 lumens/W) are now more efficient
than CFLs (40-80 lumnens/W). LEDs are instant and perfectly dimmable
and available in a range of colour temperatures and physical formats.
The catch is that they are much more expensive than CFLs, but energy
consumption really does matter, and going back to incandescent really
isn't acceptable any more (indeed it's being steadily made illegal
here - UK).

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  iEndian - Balloonboard - Toby Churchill - Emdebian
http://wookware.org/