[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 20:17:50 UTC 2009

> The other issue people casually forget, is that CFLs really are not a direct
> replacement for incandescent bulbs in many situations. They are really slow
> to start, and then need to warm up before they give a usable amount of light
> - though that varies with make. Sometimes I can walk into a room, do
> whatever it was I needed the light for, and leave - before the CFL lights
> have got around to doing something useful.

I hate that. I have these in the main hallway (indoor 75W spot light
replacements) and it takes them minutes before they emit useful light
and by that time I am already up the stairs and through the walkway
and to my room and I usually turn them off before they come on fully.
I installed them for the heat savings but I may end up replacing them
with incandescents because of this feature. The second thing I hate
about these CFLs is the 13W to 20W that they are is in no way as much
light as the incandescent they replace so I end up sometimes having to
use more bulbs or some other solutions to get more light (since it is
sometimes difficult to find larger bulbs in the style I need).