[mythtv-users] Fedora Core 10 and LIRC .0.8.4a not blasting properly

Jason Sharpe mythtv.list at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:53:29 UTC 2009

Good Afternoon all!

In the past few days I have upgraded from Mythdora 5 to Mythdora 10.21.

For those that don't follow Mythdora, that is Fedora 10 and Mythtv .21.
However those appear to be working properly.

My issue seems to be with LIRC. (1 other person has confirmed that they are
experiencing a similar issue)

What I am using:
Serial IR Blaster from www.irblaster.info
DishNetwork 301 STB

] $ yum info lirc
Installed Packages
Name       : lirc
Arch       : i386
Version    : 0.8.4a
Release    : 2.fc10
Size       : 808 k
Repo       : installed

I install Mythdora first as an inplace upgrade to Mythdora 5 the upgrade
went clean, however the IR Blaster wouldn't properly control the STB even
though all the settings and config was the same as before the upgrade. (The
LED goes off, however the STB doesn't respond, but the STB works with the
original remote). I have a 2nd known good serial IR blaster and it does the
same thing, I can verify it is throwing out IR, but the STB doesn't respond.

So last night I formatted the HDDs and installed a fresh install of Mythdora
10.21. I get all the config done and the SAME issue persists.

Running the Change_Chan.sh script and irsend directly reports no errors and
makes the IR blaster flash like it normally does, but again the STB doesn't
respond.

I have verified that everything it setup properly according the following
URL that I have used many times in the past:
http://www.eggshellskull.com/lirc/blaster/index.php

I am using the lirc.conf from
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/remotes/echostar/SAT_301 which has worked for
the past 4 years for me with the same STB I have now. So before the upgrade,
it worked perfectly, never missed, now after the upgrade, the STB won't
respond at all.

Asking on the Mythdora forums I had the following responce which may provide
more info:

******
I recently installed Mythdora 10.21 to a separate partition on an existing
Fedora 8 mythtv frontend/backend system that has been working for many moons
now. I'm using the gray Hogpoop i2c remote (pvr 350 card), and pchdtv3000
card. The ir blaster changes channels on a SA3250HD cable box. My problem is
the same as yours the irblaster flashes but only (very) rarely passes digits
to the SA3250HD. When it does it is not complete. The Fedora 8 install works
flawlessly. Both LIRC versions are the same 0.8.4a. I have spent countless
hours on this problem and conclude there is some difference in the
lirc_serial driver. I have tried trading drivers (lirc_serial.ko) but get
errors on "module is not not formated right or something". I've tried to
recompile a driver from the lirc source....what a nightmare. I might have
some luck with that in a hundred years or so, but I gave up. All the
lircd.conf, channel change scripts, module loading options (softcarrier,
type, i/o address, irq) are the same. I know this doesn't help your problem
but maybe someone can recognize something I've overlooked.

****

The WAF is falling sharply if I can't change it from The Discovery Channel.
(although I wouldn't mind watching TDC all day)

I can provide any further information that you would like, but does anyone
have ANY clue what to look at?

Thanks for ANY hints or pointers on what to check next.

Thanks again,
Jason