[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:28:26 UTC 2009

> Don't get me wrong. What I am NOT saying is that CFLs don't save energy
> overall. What I AM saying is that it's not 80% (even leaving out all
> production and shipping costs) in a great many cases.

That is fair, I misinterpreted your initial statements. The 80% does
need to be the starting point though. You start by comparing how much
light you get vs how much electricity is used. A CFL uses 20% of the
electricity that an incandescent uses to produce the same amount of
light. From there you can consider the secondary effects others have
promoted like home heating, manufacturing, shipping ,etc. When all the
cards are on the table, as you are arguing, the overall efficiency may
be more or less depending on a lot of factors. But the final outcome
will be the same, CFL are better in terms of overall efficiency.

Also an electric heater will be more efficient at heating your home
than a light bulb, even if the underlying mechanism is similar, there
are many other factors. See this from the EPA:
http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/energystar.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3868&p_created=1196785588