[mythtv-users] linux distro suggestions?

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Fri Mar 20 16:20:31 UTC 2009

Matt,

> To be a bit more specific: I currently have a working & stable
> combined frontend/backend running on Gentoo.  I have the same setup
> for my parents, who are 150 miles away.
>
> I also use Gentoo on my workstation, but Ubuntu on my laptop and
> file server.  I forgot how nice it is to not have to wait for
> packages to compile every time I install something new or do an
> upgrade!  Plus it seems I always have some dependency issues to work
> through whenever I upgrade on Gentoo.
>
> Before Gentoo, I used Debian (at least five years ago).  I've never
> used a Red Hat-style distro on any of my own computers (always been
> scared of the "dependency hell" stories), but we use CentOS on our
> servers at work (but our installs are very "vanilla" and I don't do
> much tweaking of them).
>
> So anyway... I'm just trying to solicit thoughts, to see if I just
> have a case of "the grass is always greener" syndrome, or there is a
> compelling reason for me to consider another distro.

What you're really looking for is a long maintained distro with well
maintained Mythtv packages. For this reason, I'm running CentOS. It's
supported for years (i.e. kernel updates and security updates). In addition,
Axel at ATrpms does a very good job of keeping up-to-date mythtv packages
available for CentOS (including the ivtv kernel packages I need). I'm not
sure what the support level/effort for mythtv packages on other long-life
distributions (Debian, Ubuntu) is.

Kind regards,

Mark Wormgoor