[mythtv-users] Maximum file size exceeded by file

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 16:00:33 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:45 AM, mythtv at blandford.net
<mythtv at blandford.net> wrote:

> George Galt wrote:
>>
>> All:
>>
>> I've encountered an odd problem and can only seem to find a brief discussion in the archives on the subject (which was the devs talking about implementing the error message).
>> I recently set up a slave backend (32-bit Fedora 10) with an old PVR-250 to handle some additional recording needs.  It mounts the video directory of the master backend through NFS so that the recordings are written directly to the main video storage directory (which is an XFS file system on a 64-bit Fedora 8 box).  Here is the line from fstab mounting the master backend directory:
>> 192.168.1.50:/data/video   /video            nfs     intr,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,async,nfsvers=3,bg,soft,actimeo=0,tcp
>>
>> For hour long recordings (normally about 2.4GB) the last 5-10 minutes are cut off, even though the OSD shows a recording time of 1 hour and the file size is truncated to about 2.1GB.
>>
>> The log on the slave backend shows the following:
>>
>> Maximum file size exceeded by '/video/recordings/2024_20090316200000.mpg
>> You must either change the process ulimits, configure
>> your operating system with "Large File" support, or use
>> a filesystem which supports 64-bit or 128-bit files.
>> HINT: FAT32 is a 32-bit filesystem.
>>
>> I'm not sure what to change, however.  The file system on the master backend can certainly handle large files that come off the master backend.  Is there some limit on NFS that I need to alter?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> NFS version 2 had a 2GB file system limit.  Even though you specified v3, I would verify that the mount is indeed v3.
>
> Take a look at the output of cat /proc/mounts on the client and verify v3.
>
> Michael

Michael:

Output from /proc/mounts:

192.168.1.50:/data/video /video nfs
rw,vers=2,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,namlen=255,soft,nointr,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.1.50,mountvers=1,mountproto=tcp,addr=192.168.1.50
0 0

I see a "vers=2" in there along with a "mountvers=1", does that mean
that it's mounting as version 2 NFS?  I'm not sure how to check the
version of NFS running on the server and client, but the client is a
Fedora 10 machine and the server is Fedora 8, my assumption is that
both of these OSs were put out well after NFS v3 was out.  How can I
enforce a v.3 mounting if not through the "nfsvers=3" command?

On the issue of the nfs log, I didn't create the export with logging
enabled.  I can go back and do that now, but I won't have logs for a
while.

Thanks for the help.

George