[mythtv-users] artifacts in pvr-150 recordings, only recently

Mark Boyum mark at boyum.us
Fri Mar 20 15:17:53 UTC 2009

> The live-cd was a great suggestion. It was a much larger pain than I
> anticipated getting a live-cd onto my usb flash drive and then
> updating it to use the nvidia drivers, so that I could get proper
> tv-out support. But I did finally get it up and running. I watched
> about an hour of TV with zero artifacts. So at this point I think I
> have eliminated hardware problems with the card or with my current
> system. It must be some driver or configuration issue. But it seems I
> have exhausted all the obvious ones. So I think I am going to do a
> clean install. Hopefully that will fix things up. It certainly would
> have been faster than all the stuff I have done so far. I will report
> back when the install is done. Everyone's suggestions have been
> helpful. Although I haven't tracked down a specific cause I have been
> able to eliminate many potential ones, which is really helpful in a
> case like this.

I may have missed it in an earlier post, but what OS are you running?
My Ubuntu 8.04 system began experiancing exactly the same symptoms
with at one of its PVR-150 a few weeks ago.  Macro blocking and
occasional static in the audio.

I was attempting to get a non-Mythtv issue corrected at the time and
let Ubuntu update itself.  My desktop computer, also 8.04 but always
current with updates, runs a slave backend that records via a frame
grabber and has had no issues so I wasn't concerned.  I think I am
going to try running under the next oldest Kernel now that I've seen
your posts and the trouble-shooting you have done.

-Mark