[mythtv-users] [Slightly OT] solar power for all our gadgets

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 03:27:08 UTC 2009

> Compact flourescent lamps are actually a net loss to the planet, once the
> energy to make them and transport them is taken into account,
> notwithstanding the mercury problem.

I see this idea promoted frequently, but when the numbers are actually
analyzed the assumption proves to be quite inaccurate. I have seen
studies showing that CFLs break even when compared to incandescent
bulbs (including manufacturing energy) in the first 50 hours of use.
That analysis didn't look at shipping cost but I highly doubt that a
CFL using 20% of the energy couldn't cover its shipping energy in 5-7
years. There are much more thorough life cycle (ie dust to dust)
analysis that confirm that from an energy/CO2 point compact
fluorescent bulbs are dramatically better. Here is a overview of one
such study http://secondlawoflife.wordpress.com/2008/10/05/compact-fluorescence-lamps/.