[mythtv-users] Help with Storage Directories

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 02:14:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Moasat <mythtv at moasat.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Can anyone help me with some Storage Directories configuration?
>
> My set up is this:
>
> 1 Master backend (mbe) with 2 local drives set up as /mnt/video1 and
> /mnt/video2 and 3 capture cards.
>
> 1 Slave backend (sbe) with no local drives but mbe:/mnt/video1 mounted as
> /mnt/video1 and mbe:/mnt/video2 mounted as /mnt/video2 and 1 capture card.
>
> I've set up the /mnt/video[12] on mbe as storage directories.
>
> I've also set up (the NFS mounted) /mnt/video[12] on sbe.
>
> I think my question is: Do I need to set up the NFS mounted dirs on sbe?  It
> seems that when mbe goes looking for a direrctory to write to, it is
> considering 4 locations rather than 2, but they both point to the same 2
> drives.
>
> If I don't set up any storage dirs on sbe, what will the 1 capture card on
> sbe write to?
>
> Any clarification would help.

Hopefully others can answer with more clarity. I was confused also
when I recently did almost the exact same setup. I got the point you
are at, and I didn't add any directories to the storage group on the
slave backend. Reading other posts in the archives seemed to indicate
this was not necessary if you have them setup in the MBE and then
mounted to the same locations on the SBE. However, I couldn't get
recordings or live tv to work in the exact arrangement you have. I
added the directories to the default storage group on the SBE and then
everything worked fine. I don't know if that is the correct/supported
way, but I couldn't get my SBE to record to the NFS mounted drives on
my MBE until I added them to the storage group on the SBE.