[mythtv-users] iPhone Frontend Issues

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 19:32:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Chase Douglas
<chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess the main drawback to this idea is that you will only be able to seek
> within a given segment. If you are in the first segment of the show, the
> player is only going to show the seek bar relative to that segment. The user
> won't be able to seek to a later segment easily.
>
> I think even with that drawback some users would like the commercial skip
> support like this. I probably won't work on it at first, but in the future
> I'll kick it around some and maybe make it an option for those who know what
> they're doing.

Maybe this is due to my confusion, but wouldn't your app have to
transcode to h.264 level 3 + mp3 or aac-he on the fly (assuming the
recording is not in the format)?  If so, why couldn't the transcoding
respect the commercial cutlists at the same time and just skip past
that?  I am probably missing something here.

Either way, I love this idea and of using the native support.  I
wonder which will come first: your frontend or the non-beta release of
iPhone OS 3.0.